Soft shoe shuffle is a practice of Deep Democracy. Deep Democracy is a methodology developed to foster a deeper level of dialogue, inviting a variety of opinions in a safe environment.
What is so useful about soft shoe shuffle?
- Its dynamic setup allows participants to constantly review their opinion and change their position without losing face.
- It breaks encrusted conversation patterns, makes quiet voices audible in the discussion process and activates the whole group, not only those who are currently speaking.
- It gives immediate feedback from the group what they think about an opinion or proposal.
- It taps into collective intelligence and shows the multitude of perspectives about a topic or question.
- It quickly gives a deep insight and a good visual impression about what is alive in a group.
We have seen stuck group decisions with a few filibusters dominating the discussion turn into a lively process with a quick resolution everyone could go with - just by shifting from a plenum discussion to a soft shoe shuffle process.