Soft Shoe Shuffle
What is Soft Shoe Shuffle about ?
Soft shoe shuffle is a practice of Deep Democracy. Deep Democracy is a methodology developed to foster a deeper level of dialogue, inviting a variety of opinions in a safe environment.
What is so useful about soft shoe shuffle?
- Its dynamic setup allows participants to constantly review their opinion and change their position without losing face.
- It breaks encrusted conversation patterns, makes quiet voices audible in the discussion process and activates the whole group, not only those who are currently speaking.
- It gives immediate feedback from the group what they think about an opinion or proposal.
- It taps into collective intelligence and shows the multitude of perspectives about a topic or question.
- It quickly gives a deep insight and a good visual impression about what is alive in a group.
We have seen stuck group decisions with a few filibusters dominating the discussion turn into a lively process with a quick resolution everyone could go with - just by shifting from a plenum discussion to a soft shoe shuffle process.
Is participant experience relevant for Soft Shoe Shuffle ?
Other prerequisites for participants
The participants should be able to move in the room. If you have physically handicapped, e.g. people who cannot manoeuvre their wheelchairs by themselves, they will need assistance to change their position in the room.
flat ground and a lot of space, either outdoor or in a large room with furniture aside.
Can be done on the spot, no preparation needed.